Thursday 16 April 2009

National Folk Festival











I had another wonderful four days at Easter at the National Folk Festival in Canberra, my home city. I drove the 30km to the other side of the city and when I had my wristband ticket scanned and entered the gates I felt as though I was in another world - folkies of all ages and from every State in Australia and overseas. Over 10,000 came every day. There were hundreds of musicians and dancers, instrument makers, street performers, stalls selling food and everything else, and people just having fun. And the festival always wins the award for the best recycling - hardly any rubbish is seen anywhere. I tried taking a few pics inside the venues - without flash - some turned out quite well, others were more 'artistic'.

The belly dancers were great and performed on a stage in the Piazza where you could sit around, eat & drink and watch dancing. Sometimes you could join in and learn too. There were lots of workshops. The local belly dancing group had its own band and here is a photo of two drummers - Richard & Frances.

One picture shows Anita George singing and playing guitar. A South American band called Inca Marka had this amazing guy playing 2 instruments at once. And Michael Kennedy, from Castlemaine, Victoria was a fantastic song writer and singer. I heard him several times.

No comments: